A lot…that’s what. I’m sure there are names you hear that make you cringe and names that just as quickly make your heart swell. Names that you may have a hard time dating because of a person in the past and names you have lovingly picked out for your babies.
Every girl puts their boyfriend’s name behind theirs to see how it sounds and writes it to see how it looks. Every divorcee wonders what to do with her last name. Keep it for the kids? Go back to maiden? Make a new name? A name marks a person. For good or bad, first and last, there’s a lot to a name.
One of my dear friends lost her mom this week. She passed away and left her daughter reeling as to how to go on without her. Understandably so. We all have, would, or will. It’s a huge loss. Huge. As I was walking and praying for my friend on my lunch break, the name “Reuniter” came to mind. There are many names for our God, but this one had never crossed my mind before. And, He is our Reuniter.
As the song goes…”Sweet name (sweet name), dear name (dear name), There’s no other name like Jesus, Sweet name (sweet name), dear name (dear name).”
There is no other name like Jesus. I’d like to share a list of some other names that come to mind….
- Deliverer The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer.…Psalms 18:2
- Lover I have loved you with an everlasting love…..Jeremiah 31:3
- Provider My God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19
- Forgiver If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins……1 John 1:9
- Redeemer Our Redeemer—the Lord of hosts is his name—is the Holy One of Israel. Isaiah 47:4
- Creator For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. Psalms 139:13
- Comforter ….who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 2 Corinthians 1:4
- Carrier In the wilderness, where you have seen how the Lord your God carried you, as a man carries his son….Deuteronomy 1:31
- Counselor …..and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6
- Vindicator He who vindicates me is near. Who then will bring charges against me? Isaiah 50:8
- Convicter When he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment… John 16:8
- Liberator He brought them out of darkness, the utter darkness, and broke away their chains. Psalms 107:14
- Reuniter Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds….1 Thessalonians 4:17
These names are so sweet to me. Growing up legalistically, my innate name or character trait for God was “condemner”. That’s how I inherently viewed Him. A God I could never please. A God I wanted so badly to please, but always felt like I fell short. That was a lie. The true condemner himself put that in my head and I took it to heart.
Now, I take John 3:17 to heart and choose to believe it. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
He is not our condemner, He is our Savior….and so much more. There’s A LOT to a name.